UPDATED AS OF JANUARY 1, 2022
THIS IS A LEGALLY BINDING AGREEMENT.
PLEASE REVIEW THESE TERMS OF SERVICE CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH YOUR ORDER. UTILIZING ERI’S SERVICES SHALL CONSTITUTE YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
These Terms of Service (“Terms”) shall apply to those services provided by Electronic Recyclers International, Inc., and/or its subsidiaries (“ERI”) and govern (a) your use of the ERI shipping label (“Label”); (b) the ERI electronic waste recycling box and/or other boxes (the “Box”) in connection with ERI’s electronic waste recycling services (“Services”); and (c) the relationship between ERI and the user of the Label and/or Box (“You” or “Customer”). The Terms shall be effective as of the date you place an order or utilize the Label or Box. If you have any questions regarding these Terms, call ERI at 1-800-ERI-DIRECT (1-800-374-3473) or visit our website at www.ERIdirect.com.
- LIMIT ON PROGRAM AVAILABILITY. The Services may not be available to Customers located outside of the continental United States and Canada.
- RECYCLING SERVICES. Subject to these Terms, upon receipt and acceptance of a Box, ERI shall: (a) process, recycle and/or dispose of the Recycled Materials (see paragraph 8) in accordance with federal, state and local laws and regulations; (b) perform agreed upon asset registration services; and (c) prepare and process legally required paperwork.
- TITLE TO THE BOX. Until ERI receives and accepts the Box: (a) title to and risk of loss of the Box and its contents will remain with Customer; (b) Customer is solely responsible for the contents of the Box and for the proper packaging of items, and (c) Customer’s inventory list shall be for reference purposes only and shall not be deemed final. ERI’s inventory list of items after acceptance by ERI shall be binding.
- EXPIRATION OF BOX; UNUSED CONTAINERS. Each Box must be received by ERI within one-year from the date of ordering the box (“Expiration Date”). ERI shall have no obligation to recycle after the Expiration Date. ERI will not be obligated to give a refund for any unused Boxes.
- CUSTOMER ACKNOWLEDGMENTS. (i) Customer acknowledges that they are responsible for the deletion of all confidential and proprietary data on all computer hardware, data storage and electronic devices that are contained on or within the equipment before the products and equipment have left the consumer’s premises; (ii) Customer acknowledges that ERI shall not be responsible, in any way, for confidential and proprietary data that is not deleted from the computer hardware and or electronic devices prior to packing and shipping; (iii) Customer acknowledges that all computer hardware and electronic media devices will not be returned after it has been accepted for shipment
- PACKAGING. Customer shall pack and seal the Box in accordance with the instructions included with the Box and/or the Label (the “Packing Instructions”).
- SHIPPING. Customer shall comply with all shipping instructions. Shipping instructions are included with each Box and/or Label. They may also be obtained by calling ERI at 1-800-ERI-DIRECT (1-800-374-3473). You will receive your prepaid return shipping label (the “Prepaid Label”) with your Box, via the ERI website or via email. Please follow the return shipping instructions.
- ADDITIONAL SHIPPING CHARGES. In the event you ship the Box after the Expiration Date or your shipment exceeds the maximum allowable weight, you shall be responsible for any additional charges.
- CUSTOMER REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES. Customer represents and warrants to ERI that Customer holds good and marketable title to material being sent to ERI for processing free and clear of liens, security interests and any other encumbrances preventing such material from being transferred to ERI.
- RISK OF PHYSICAL LOSS. Risk of physical loss or damage to Customer material will transfer to ERI upon ERI taking physical custody/control of the material and the contents are verified by ERI. If the Customer is shipping any media containing sensitive personal information (such as personal, financial or health information), Customer shall retain copies of any important data it wishes to maintain and also secure any data on the media through encryption or other technological means prior to sending to ERI. ERI shall not be held liable or responsible for Customer’s data being irretrievable after being processed and destroyed by ERI. For clarification purposes, if data bearing material contains information that is valuable to Customer and Customer fails to retain a copy for its records, ERI shall not be held liable for destroying such data and recycling the material.
- DATA DURING TRANSPORT. ERI shall not be responsible for any data loss during transportation and/or prior to being received by ERI.
- NON-CONFORMING WASTE. The Box may only be used for recycling those materials indicated on the Box and/or Box Insert (the “Recycled Materials”). A detailed list of the acceptable Recycled Materials may also be obtained from ERI. Material will be considered nonconforming if it has constituents, characteristics, components or properties not included within the definition of Recycled Materials (“Non-Conforming Waste”). If ERI determines that any Box contains Non-Conforming Waste, including, without limitation, electronics containing damaged, defective, or swollen batteries, ERI may, at its sole discretion, and at Customer’s sole cost and expense: (a) reject the Box and return it to Customer; (b) return the Non-Conforming Waste to Customer; (c) request that the Customer make arrangements for removal of the Non-Conforming Waste, or (d) process the contents of the Box and Customer shall pay for any and all costs associated with processing the Non-Conforming Waste. ERI shall not be deemed to take title to any Non-Conforming Waste at any time or be responsible for such Non-Conforming Waste.
- CHARGES FOR FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH TERMS AND INSTRUCTIONS; NON CONFORMING WASTE; CHANGED CONDITIONS; AND ADDITIONAL SERVICES. ERI reserves the right to bill additional amounts for any of the following: (a) any Box exceeding its any specified maximum weight; (b) costs associated with handling any Non-Conforming Waste; (c) shipping materials in the wrong Box or mixing materials in a Box that are not allowed by Box instructions; (d) additional shipping charges beyond the amounts prepaid for any Prepaid Label; (e) any costs or expenses incurred by ERI other than the usual and ordinary costs of ERI in the performance of the Services; or (f) any costs related to changes in applicable law occurring after the date of purchase of the Box.
- WARRANTY. ERI warrants that it will handle, manage, treat, process and dispose of the Recycled Materials in a safe and workmanlike manner and in full compliance with all valid and applicable statutes, ordinances, orders, rules and regulations of the federal, state and local governments in whose jurisdictions such activities are performed under this Agreement. Other than as expressly warranted herein, the Box is provided “as is,” and ERI disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
- LIMITATION ON LIABILITY. Other than the obligations of ERI set forth in these Terms: (a) neither ERI nor its directors, owners, suppliers, officers, agents, affiliates, contractors and/or employees shall be responsible or liable with respect to the Services, the Box, or any use thereof, under any theory of contract, negligence, strict liability or other theory; (b) in no event shall ERI be liable or responsible for any matter beyond ERI’s reasonable commercial control; and (c) in no event shall ERI be liable to Customer for any amount in excess of the amount received by ERI for the purchase of this Box. FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBT, IN NO EVENT SHALL ERI OR ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, OWNERS, EXECUTIVES, AND/OR SUBSIDIARIES BE LIABILE FOR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, LOST PROFITS OR OTHER DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE SERVICES. ERI’S TOTAL OBLIGATION UNDER THESE TERMS OF SERVICE SHALL NOT EXCEED THE COST FOR SERVICES WITHOUT REGARD TO THE THEORY OF RECOVERY OR THE NATURE OF THE CAUSE OF ACTION.
- GOVERNING LAW AND VENUE. These Terms will be interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without regard to its choice of law provisions, as though all acts and omissions occurred in the State of California. The parties shall submit all disputes, claims or demands of any kind relating to or arising out of these Terms (“Controversy”) to a three-step dispute resolution process. The three-step process shall (i) begin with informal negotiation conducted in good faith; (ii) be followed, if necessary, by mediation exclusively in Fresno, CA, initiated by a written demand of one party served on the other, and if the mediator determines that the Controversy cannot be resolved by mediation or if either party shall make a written demand therefor, then; (iii) the Controversy shall be submitted to binding arbitration exclusively in Fresno, CA, conducted by a neutral arbitrator, in accordance with the rules and regulations of the American Arbitration Association. The arbitration award shall include attorney’s fees and costs pursuant to this Agreement, and any damages or remedies otherwise available under applicable law, shall be supported by written conclusions of law and fact. Application may be had by any party to any court of general jurisdiction for entry of judgment based on the arbitration award. The foregoing notwithstanding, either party may maintain, for the purpose of obtaining a provisional remedy or provisional relief, any underlying action or claim on which such affirmative relief may be based.
- FORCE MAJEURE. If ERI is prevented from complying, either totally or in part, with any of the terms or provisions of these Terms by reason of fire, flood, storm, strike, lockout or other labor trouble, any law, order, proclamation, regulation, ordinance, demand or requirement of any governmental authority, riot, war, rebellion or other causes beyond the reasonable control of ERI, or other acts of God, then upon written notice to Customer, the affected provisions and/or other requirements of these Terms shall be suspended during the period of such disability and ERI shall have no liability to Customer in connection therewith. ERI shall use reasonable efforts to remove the disability within thirty (30) calendar days of giving notice of the disability.
- ENTIRE AGREEMENT; CONSTRUCTION. These Terms constitute your entire agreement with ERI with respect to the purchase and use of any Box or the Services, superseding all prior communications, agreements or correspondence between the parties or their representatives for these Services; provided, however, obligations which apply to users of the Box set forth on or in the Box, in the Packing Instructions are hereby incorporated herein. If any provision in these Terms is determined to be illegal, invalid or unenforceable, the remainder of these Terms will nonetheless survive and govern the rights and obligations of the parties hereto. No provision of the Terms will be deemed waived, amended, or modified by either party unless such waiver, amendment, or modification is in writing signed by the party against whom enforcement is sought. Representations or statements made by any employee, agent, or representative of ERI shall not be binding on ERI unless agreed upon in writing by ERI.