All 50 states have data security regulations, in addition to federal laws.
Since the implementation of GDPR in Europe (May 25, 2018), 4 states have passed new legislation, and at least 22 states have proposed legislation or have enaced study bills. In addition, at least 8 federal laws are currently proposed.
- ERI Facility
- California — California Consumer Privacy Act
- Nevada — SB220
- Maine — Act to Protect Privacy of Online Consumer Information
- New York — SHIELD Act
Proposed Legislation/Task Force Establishment
- Connecticut — RB1108 (TF)
- Florida — H963 (DNP)
- Hawaii — HB2572
- Illinois — Data Transparency & Privacy Act
- Louisiana — HR249 (TF)
- Maryland — Online Consumer Protection Act
- Massachusetts — SD311/S120 (TF)
- Minnesota — Consumer Data Privacy Act
- Mississippi — Consumer Privacy Act (DNP)
- Nebraska — Consumer Data Privacy Act
- New Hampshire — HB1680
- New Jersey — A2188
- New Mexico — Consumer Information Privacy Act (DNP)
- New York — NY Privacy Act
- North Dakota — HB1485 (TF)
- Pennsylvania — Consumer Data Privacy Act (DNP)
- Rhode Island — Consumer Privacy Protection Act (DNP)
- South Carolina — Biometric Data Privacy Act
- Texas — Privacy Protection Act (TF)
- Virginia — Privacy Act (DNP)
- Washington — Privacy Act (DNP)
- Wisconsin — Data Privacy Act
- US House (Moran) — Consumer Data Privacy & Security Act
- US Senate (Cantwell) — Consumer Online Privacy Rights Act
- US Senate (Gillibrand) — Data Protection Act
- US Senate (Klobuchar) — Social Media Privacy & Consumer Rights Act
- US Senate (Rubio) — American Data Dissemination Act
- US Senate (Schatz) — Data Care Act
- US Senate (Warren) — Data Breach Prevention and Compensation Act
- US Senate (Wicker) — Consumer Data Privacy Act
DNP: bill died or postponed. TF: replaced with Task Force or Study Bill
The GDPR Compliance Checklist
Achieving GDPR Compliance shouldn’t feel like a struggle. This is a basic checklist you can use to harden your GDPR compliancy.
FAQ Sheet – EU General Data Protection Regulation
STC Consultants, LLC
This document is intended to provide a broad review of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
EU data protection rules
Find out how updates to data protection rules will affect you individually, or apply to your business.
IBM Data Responsibility and the GDPR
This video will give you an idea of the broad scope of the GDPR, covering four main areas – security, data subject rights, consent and privacy by design.
GDPR Text – Neatly Arranged
Official GDPR text as a neatly arranged website.
What’s Data Privacy Law In Your Country?
Privacy laws by country.